Advanced Collection Information is blank or empty

When accessing the Advanced Collection information no info is displayed under any of the tabs

Do you see any information being displayed in the Log area on the bottom of the window?

Yes. It says it goes through the gathering and finding process and then finished.

11:12:08 AM - Gathering Collection Folders…
11:12:12 AM - Finding Collections…
11:12:17 AM - Finished!

Could you try running the following PowerShell, changing the $ResourceID to be the ResourceID of the device you’re trying to find collections for, and changing the $Server and $SiteCode variables to match your environment? Let me know if it returns any results - this is essentially what the right click tools are doing.

$ResourceID = "<ResourceID>"
$Server = "<Server>"
$SiteCode = "<SiteCode>"

$strQuery = "select Distinct * from SMS_FullCollectionMembership inner join SMS_Collection on SMS_Collection.CollectionID = SMS_FullCollectionMembership.CollectionID where SMS_FullCollectionMembership.ResourceID like '" + $ResourceID + "'"

(Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\sms\site_$SiteCode -ComputerName $Server -Query $strQuery).SMS_Collection.Name

No result are returned after I enter the variables and run the Get-WmiObject command

Could you also try running this PowerShell?

$Server = "<Server>"
$SiteCode = "<SiteCode>"

$strQuery = "select Distinct * from SMS_FullCollectionMembership where SMS_FullCollectionMembership.ResourceID like '" + $ResourceID + "'"

(Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\sms\site_$SiteCode -ComputerName $Server -Query $strQuery).CollectionID

This one returned a set of numbers, which I assume to be collection IDs?

That’s correct, they are collection IDs. We’ve been noticing that some ConfigMgr environments are failing on WQL queries with joins, especially in environments where the queries return a lot of data. This particular query may be fixed by only returning the results fro the SMS_Collection class. Could you try running the following PowerShell to see if you see a list of collection names?

$Server = "<Server>"
$SiteCode = "<SiteCode>"

$strQuery = "select Distinct SMS_Collection.* from SMS_FullCollectionMembership inner join SMS_Collection on SMS_Collection.CollectionID = SMS_FullCollectionMembership.CollectionID where SMS_FullCollectionMembership.ResourceID like '" + $ResourceID + "'"

(Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\sms\site_$SiteCode -ComputerName $Server -Query $strQuery).Name

That pulled up the device collection names.

By the way, we are running 1511, not sure if it matters

1511 should be fine, we run that internally. What version of the tools are you running? I just checked and it looks like the Device - Show Collections - Advanced.ps1 file from the 2.4 release already has that change implemented (apparently I was pulling PowerShell code from an old release). If you’re on 2.4 there may be another reason that this tool is failing.

I double checked and I am currently running version 2.4

Any suggestions? IM not a server admin, just admin over machines in our OU within AD. I do have all administrative permissions for devices under my scope of management.