Interactive Command Prompt instead of Powershell on Recast RCT 2.5

I would prefer to use the command prompt instead of the Powershell on the new version. I used command prompt all the time on version 2.4. Is there anything I can do or do I have to install the previous versions? Both options would actually be ideal.

Is there a reason the Interactive PowerShell prompt won’t work for what you need to do? We removed the Interactive Command Prompt support because we thought that the PowerShell prompt would be sufficient to do all of the tasks. Also, we don’t want to require users to download another utility in order for some of the tools to work, we’d like them to work out of the box.

I think we were all just so used to the old way and we have PSTools installed on all of our systems. The first PC that I tested on would not let me connect and gave me a firewall issue but, after trying more PCs, I was successful. I do like the opened potential that PowerShell offers and it appears to work well. Appreciate the response!

I also have a problem with Interactive PowerShell prompt
It takes up to 20 seconds to open Interactive PowerShell prompt when command prompt in version 2.4 opens almost immediately

What version of 2.5 are you using? We recently released an update (2.5.6264) that should help improve launch times. It might be worth downloading again if it’s been a while since you last installed. The PowerShell tool does reach out to the device to see if PSRemoting is already enabled before prompting you to enable it, which can add to the time it takes to launch. In my testing the tool launches significantly faster if it detects PSRemoting is already enabled - do your devices already have PSRemoting enabled?

I use v2.5.6264. PSRemoting is already enabled.
When I click on Interactive PowerShell prompt it take a long time to just open a window.
I try on 3 different PCs where v2.4 works fast but v2.5 wery slow

When using the Right Click Tools in SCCM 2012 Console I go to the device name that is listed in the “All Systems Collection” and right click, select right click tools and Interactive Command Prompt but an error pops up saying that PSExec Not found. Normally, I’ll click on the device name again, right click the right click tools and then select the Interactive Command Prompt option and it finds the PSExec and then we are good to go from then on. I have the PSExec.exe in PSTools in root of C on the workstation with the console installed. I can’t get it to find PSExec. How can I change the location in the PS script. I apologize but I am a beginner at powershell. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

When executing command prompt commands in the powershell the output is often delayed and malformed. An example of this was running “sfc /scannow” from the interactive powershell. The output was almost unusable. RCT is a great addition to SCCM and very glad to have it, but I did find the interactive command prompt more friendly to use in my cases.

Based on the feedback in this thread, it sounds like we made a mistake removing this feature. The Interactive Command Prompt feature will be added back in the next release.

SCCMAdmin

Mar '17

When using the Right Click Tools in SCCM 2012 Console I go to the device name that is listed in the “All Systems Collection” and right click, select right click tools and Interactive Command Prompt but an error pops up saying that PSExec Not found. Normally, I’ll click on the device name again, right click the right click tools and then select the Interactive Command Prompt option and it finds the PSExec and then we are good to go from then on. I have the PSExec.exe in PSTools in root of C on the workstation with the console installed. I can’t get it to find PSExec. How can I change the location in the PS script. I apologize but I am a beginner at powershell. Any help is appreciated.

I had the same issue recently. Here’s’ how I solved it.
Navigate to the RTC install directory … For my installation: C:\Program Files (x86)\Now Micro\Right Click Tools"
Look for the "Configure Tools.ps1" file and execute with Powershell.
From there you tab over to the “Interactive Command Prompt” and Browse to select your directory.

Hope this saves you the half hour of searching.