Ping feature and other functions don't seem to work across domains

Hi,
I was just curious in a lot of the scripts in the right click tools, they don’t seem to work in our secondary domain. A lot of the scripts seem to use the PC name as the variable without the full FQDN. Is it possible to edit the commands to make it use the entire fqdn instead of just pcname. If you could just tell me what I would need to do that would be great too, I understand these are free tools and I don’t expect you to make changes to them just for my situation. Overall great tools and I thank you for creating them.

Nick

It’s certainly possible to edit the tools to use the FQDN, however it might be easier to append DNS suffixes on the device you’re running the Right Click Tools from. Something like this:

See this site for more details on configuring DNS suffix settings: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959339.aspx

The downside to this approach is if you have the same computer name in both domains, only one computer will ever be hit by the tools.

If the DNS suffix list isn’t an option, unfortunately there is no central place to edit the computer name that is used by the tools. Each script queries ConfigMgr individually to map the collection ID to a list of computers. This is what it looks like in the Multiple - Ping.ps1 file:

if ($ScriptType -eq "Collection") {
	$strQuery = "Select DISTINCT SMS_R_System.Name from SMS_FullCollectionMembership as c join SMS_R_System on c.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceID where c.CollectionID='$ColID'"
	Get-WmiObject -Query $strQuery -Namespace $Namespace -ComputerName $Server | ForEach-Object {
		$ResourceName = $null
		$ResourceName = $_.Name
		$SyncTable.ComputerArray.Add("$ResourceName") | Out-Null
	}
	StartThreads -ScriptBlock $Scriptblock -Threads $threadcount
}

The script would need to be changed to something like this:

if ($ScriptType -eq "Collection") {
	$strQuery = "Select DISTINCT SMS_R_System.Name,SMS_R_System.FullDomainName from SMS_FullCollectionMembership as c join SMS_R_System on c.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceID where c.CollectionID='$ColID'"
	Get-WmiObject -Query $strQuery -Namespace $Namespace -ComputerName $Server | ForEach-Object {
		$ResourceName = $null
		$ResourceName = $_.Name + "." + $_.FullDomainName
		$SyncTable.ComputerArray.Add("$ResourceName") | Out-Null
	}
	StartThreads -ScriptBlock $Scriptblock -Threads $threadcount
}

You will need to change this line in each of the Multiple*.ps1 files. With the single device tools, it’s not as easy as you will need to edit the XML to pass the ResourceID instead of computer name, add some code to query ConfigMgr in a similar way, and pass the new computer name to the functions.

If neither of those is an option, the Recast Enterprise Tools have support for toggling FQDN support on or off: http://www.nowmicro.com/recast/feature-list/

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your prompt response, I can’t believe I overlooked the DNS suffixes option. I just started a new job so the server was setup before I got here. We would always set each domain suffix in the tcp/ip settings at my prior company, so I assumed it was the same here…

Thanks for the tip editing the scripts would have taken forever… :smile:

Nick

Hi Nick and NowMicro

First off - thank you for RCT. They made administration a breeze.

I have to agree having an option in the configuration for FQDN is crucial. In our company, we do have servers with the same hostname in several domains. Even DNS Suffix won’t help us in this case.

I was using the May 2014 release and it was awesome. Just upgraded to the March 2015 release and having issues. I do have DNS Suffixes configured for our domain names, and in the current version of RCT, In my current collection, I have just over 600 computers and 57 are returning Unsuccessful - Off. However nearly every single one of them is pingable via the command prompt. What is the difference in your determination of an On vs Off computer, because it doesn’t appear that it is ping.

Thanks.

Max

I agree there’s definitely an issue with ping in the latest version. The majority of our clients are reported as being off, but they’re not, and reply to ping from command line. I’ve went back to version 2.0 for now, as ping seems to work more reliably. Though now I’m wondering if it’s 100% accurate as well…

Just want to add my voice to this as well, we are having issues with using any of the scripts to our other domain. Even editing the scripts to use the FQDN didn’t work.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps us determine what to work on for future releases. We will look at adding FQDNs as an option to the next release of the free tools. We are also making the DNS reverse lookups optional in the next release, which is likely why the tools are incorrectly reporting the computers is off. If the new tools aren’t working, we recommend rolling back to the 2.1 release until the next version of the tools are available. We expect the next version of the free tools will release in September.

We’ve released the 2.4 version of the Recast RCT Free tools: http://www.nowmicro.com/recast-rct-free-2-4-release/

FQDN is now a configurable option that is on by default.