Provider Failure & Invalid parameter

Working with a trial license of RCT 4.8 Enterprise and I’m trying to setup some UWF Profiles. I’ve created the Profile, and what appears to be some basic built-in exclusions for testing purposes.

I go to apply the Profile and receive either two distinct errors either, “Invalid Parameter or Provider Failure” and I’ve pasted a snip of the two errors below. Not really sure where to proceed from here as we’re evaluating the software as a replacement for Centurion SmartShield and UWF seems to be a viable option. Even more so if we can manage from our SCCM setup as well.

We’ve also applied the McAfee Firewall addition that is recommended here:
https://docs.recastsoftware.com/features/Kiosk_Management/Unified_Write_Filter/index.html

2021-11-05 10:35:05,602 [4] INFO Scheduler Init() - Start
2021-11-05 10:35:05,617 [4] INFO Scheduler Init() - Initialized
2021-11-05 10:40:18,185 [9] INFO Scheduler Init() - Start
2021-11-05 10:40:18,199 [9] INFO Scheduler Init() - Initialized
2021-11-05 10:40:24,412 [25] ERROR Scheduler reportProgress()
System.Management.ManagementException: Provider failure
at Recast.RCT.Server.WmiImplementations.RecastWmiSession.QueryInstances(String strQuery)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.UnifiedWriteFilter.UnifiedWriteFilterPlugin.GetCompatibleVolumes(String computerName, IRecastCimSessionProvider sessionProvider)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.UnifiedWriteFilter.UnifiedWriteFilterPlugin.ConfigureUnifiedWriteFilter(String name, IEnumerable`1 exclusions, OverlayType type, UInt32 maximumSize, IRecastCimSessionProvider sessionProvider)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.UnifiedWriteFilter.UnifiedWriteFilterPlugin.d__43.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.PluginBase.AttributeRecastAction.d__65.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.Scheduler.Async.ChildJob.d__16.MoveNext()

2021-11-05 10:23:05,583 [6] INFO Scheduler Init() - Start
2021-11-05 10:23:05,597 [6] INFO Scheduler Init() - Initialized
2021-11-05 10:23:12,938 [18] ERROR Scheduler reportProgress()
System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid parameter
at Recast.RCT.Server.WmiImplementations.RecastWmiSession.InvokeMethod(IRecastCimInstance instance, String methodName, IRecastCimMethodParametersCollection parameters)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.UnifiedWriteFilter.UnifiedWriteFilterPlugin.SetOverlayType(String name, OverlayType type, IRecastCimSessionProvider sessionProvider)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.UnifiedWriteFilter.UnifiedWriteFilterPlugin.ConfigureUnifiedWriteFilter(String name, IEnumerable`1 exclusions, OverlayType type, UInt32 maximumSize, IRecastCimSessionProvider sessionProvider)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.UnifiedWriteFilter.UnifiedWriteFilterPlugin.d__43.MoveNext()
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.PluginBase.AttributeRecastAction.d__65.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
at Recast.RCT.Server.Plugins.Scheduler.Async.ChildJob.d__16.MoveNext()
2021-11-05 10:23:25,943 [16] ERROR Scheduler reportProgress()

Have you turned on and configured UWF for that device? Unified Write Filter (UWF) feature | Microsoft Docs

Yes, I verified it’s enabled at the actual client and through RCT it’s shows Enabled.

Hello! I was able to apply a UWF profile using the ConfigMgr and Windows exclusions that are part of the Right Click Tools product. I first had to “Install Unified Write Filter” with the Right Click Tools, then I was able to apply the profile with no problems at all. My suspicion is that there is something in the McAfee Firewall exclusions that you are adding that is causing the error, do you have the link for the exclusions that you are using? I can help narrow down which one is causing the error if needed.

I don’t believe this to be a McAfee Firewall issue as I removed those features from by my PC and the Destination PC. No logs in McAfee are being logged for anything either.

I think maybe I misunderstood? I believe you said in the original post that you added some additional exclusions for a McAfee product?

Apologizes. I had since removed the McAfee firewall feature from my system & the destination system to 100% rule out any firewall issues.

Ah okay that makes sense.

Adding the ConfigMgr and Windows exclusions worked for me without any issue, I wonder if it makes sense to create a new profile and try to apply?

The error would seem to indicate that the RCT are trying to pass an exclusion that is formatted incorrectly, perhaps starting from scratch will help.